Plenty of notes here below.....to be more brief!- I'm developing Re-music-ed to be part of an Ensemble Offspring concert coming up and fitted very well into our Zeitgeist assignment in class- being Zeitgeisty for this work was definitely the whole idea. Here are a few of the key ideas so far:
• So what is the theme of this work? Fracturing of time and place. An event like a performance
is no longer a singularity or a point of singular focus, of concentration. It is clearly fractured timewise,
hiphop , the Get down. Mash up
• Surrealism and Fellini, Kubrick The Shining
• In a broad sense time is the theme.
• Christian Marclay The Clock
• Doco on Channel Criswell Tarkovsky Poetic Harmony- excellent ideas on editing/long take/
sound/texture on Time! The tension of time, the pressure of time!
• Documentation is like a disruption in the sequence of time. everyone photographing/filming on their phones is kind of like a future. A mashup of this event is like a fragmentation of time, a deconstruction and re-construction. All art is a re-manufacturing or repurposing of pre-existing material/ideas. Stravinksy! Montage, Soviet cinema, Italian neorealism, collage, Fracturing/ splitting, filmic collage…Brakhage
• Great article by Grauer on Brakhage and the theory of montage essay bookmarked and book available online also bookmarked.
• Wees and Montage bookmarked pdf
• In reader Stadler article on reality and realism…
• Godard!! Histoire de Cinema
• Bookmarked montage godard articles…..the use of black space in film, the nothing of silence
visual and audible
• Forming a new reality out of fragmented pieces
• the audience becomes part of the performance=selfie culture- we want to see ourselves
reflected back in our art
• Deleuze on Godard bookmarked -the end of narrative cinema
• Tarkovsky has his long shots, the viewer needs time the pressure of time to digest the
images properly. I imagine that you could say that it doesn’t have to be the long shot. The
frame followed be silence , has a big impact. the viewer is responsible for taking the glimpse of the rapid moment and digests it in the imagination. Therefore potentially just as emotive as a long shot?
• Tarkovsky says that music subverts the intention inherent in the image…..
• Other ideas about the project: the faithfulness of the digital image, is another layer of
illusion. There is an inherent quality and texture the medium as there is in film or tape. The
work seeks to explore this texture. Embracing the colours/pixiallation, what it is that is
actually there rather than restyling them to form something else. Vive la difference. Embrace the reality/ naturalism/ authenticity.
• Fallability of the digital frame? What happens when the frame appears on the screen? Is it
actually instantaneous? Or is it a very fast pattern? Could be an artefact of the process??
• Webern’s micro pieces, gestures, flickerings, 2nd Viennese school. etc
• Webern 4 small pieces for Cello and piano Massige Achtel- constructing a simple elegant
narrative from a very small number of “events”
• Bill Viola interview youtube Cameras are Soul Keepers. “Emptiness, is a real thing that
exists, the space between all of the physical objects. That’s where we exist , in-between the
empty spaces in reality”.
• Music videos
Kassabian, A. (2008). Inattentive Engagements: The New Problematics of Sound and
Music. Cinema Journal, 48(1), 118-123. doi:10.1353/cj.0.0069
Gadzinski, A. (2010). APPROPRIATED MUSIC - AN ALTERED SYSTEM OF
RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN MUSIC AND IMAGE. New Sound: International Magazine
For Music, (36), 91-100.
“In the editing, we struggled with a constant going back and forth between sound and
image. Technically this is not evident. For our main editing criteria we used energy,
rhythm, pitch and intensity of sound, and, working in differ- ent ‘spaces’ and ‘logics of
spaces’, sometimes we started by editing the image and sometimes with the sound,
which is not the traditional workflow. But we tried to maintain our intentions until the end,
drawing the different ‘spaces’ for the mix, including a variety of relationships between
sound and image.” Huvenne, M. (2010). Towards a radically different understanding of
experience: Looking for an heautonomous auditory field in film. Soundtrack, 3(2),
• access journal “Music sound and the moving image”
• Guide to Reading Deleuze’s Cinema II: The Time-Image, Part I: Towards a Direct
Imaging of Time to Crystal-Images. (2012, September 28). Retrieved May 11, 2017,
• Oeler, K. (2011). POETRY IN CINEMATOGRAPHY. Yearbook Of Comparative
Literature, (57), 167-187.
• The purpose of art is to impart the sensation of things as they are perceived and not as
they are known. The technique of art is to make objects ‘unfamiliar’, to make forms
difficult, to increase the difficulty and length of perception because the process of
perception is an aesthetic end in itself and must be prolonged. Art is a way of
experiencing the artfulness of an object; the object is not important." (Shklovsky, "Art as
• Glenn Gould radio plays
• as part of the developing artwork the performance where this films screening forms part
will be documented itself with the idea to create a further artwork from that. A selfreplicating artwork ;)
• gestures and flickering
• reality tv- people and content just to observe, they want to be part of the action, they
want to see themselves on the screen. They want to be a relevant part of the artistic
process. The spectator wants to be looked at
• The idea of surveillance, and big data, what happens to all of this information floating
around. Reflections and digitised versions of ourselves sitting out there in the world.
• Orwellian- a bit too far!
• John Cage 4’33’’ the audience ends up being the focus for the production of sound, as
well as forced to listen to the themselves.
• Andy Warhol??
• what ideas of conventional narrative can be overlaid upon this film? We have the couple
in conversation, clear boy ”girl thing going” on in a very abstract way.
• consider why I have brought in those photos from mittagong?
• Possibly included photos from the streets of Darlo? Could be a more relevant thing??
This blog is my process journal for my Master's course at AFTRS